Nail fungus can cause a lot of trouble not only for an infected person, but also for his loved ones. This disease is transmitted both through personal contact and in general household conditions. This fact means only one thing: the fungus should be treated without fail and the measures should be comprehensive. If the problem arose on the nails, then it is also present on the skin of the legs. Also, local remedies must be combined with oral medications. This is the only way to defeat the disease at home.
Preparation and precautions
Nail fungus (onychomycosis) is a disease caused by fungi - dermatophytes, microsporia, etc. , So it is very important to consult a doctor at the first symptoms. After the examination, the doctor may prescribe further examinations to confirm the diagnosis and select an effective therapy. If you also want to use folk remedies, you need to discuss this with your doctor. Consultation with a specialist will allow you to deal with the problem effectively and safely.
It is important to use the medicines according to the doctor's instructions and recommendations, as some medicines can give a negative result when in contact with the skin.
If you or someone in your family has nail fungus, you need to pay extra attention to hygiene to avoid infecting those who are still healthy.
Why does the mushroom appear and its types
The spores of the fungus are microscopic and live where a person lives. About 70, 000 fungi are known, but those that cause disease are the most dangerous.
How does it turn out that one person is healthy, and the other "got" the mushroom? The following reasons can contribute to this:
- Wounds on the legs, abrasions, calluses.
- Violation of personal hygiene.
- Decreased defenses of the body.
- Excessive sweating of the feet (hyperhidrosis).
The type of fungus that has affected the nail plate can only be determined by a dermatologist after passing the tests. Sometimes it is possible to understand by visual inspection which species caused the disease:
- Dermatophytes. The lesion appears as yellowish spots or streaks. The progressive stage is characterized by the acquisition of a brighter shade and the defeat of the entire plate.
- Yeast. They affect the color and structure of the nail folds, causing inflammation and suppuration.
- Moldy. They don't penetrate very deeply and appear as dark, black spots.
It is worth noting that the stronger the lesion, the more pronounced the symptoms and signs of the fungus.
Symptoms and signs of damage
The success of treatment directly depends on the correct and timely diagnosis. If you are attentive to yourself, be sure to notice the manifestations of the fungus on your toenails. The following symptoms and signs should alert:
- Change the color of the plate. The color can indicate the type of fungus that caused the disease. You may notice yellow, gray, black, green, and blue spots or streaks on your nails.
- Change in nail density. If you see thinning or, conversely, thickening of the nails, you need to visit a doctor.
- Itching and burning. They occur systematically and cause discomfort.
- Violation of the integrity of the license plate. The nail may break. Also, dry skin on your heels indicates a fungal infection.
Unpleasant sensations arise due to the effects of fungal toxins on the skin and nails, so the sooner you see a doctor and start treatment, the sooner full recovery will come. If the fungus is left untreated, you can lose your nail or multiple nails completely. Also, toxins poison the body and can lead to eczema.
Effective folk methods of struggle
Folk methods will help get rid of the fungus, especially at the initial stage. I present the most common recipes for combating the disease.
Used for bathrooms. Preparing for the procedure is simple: take 5 liters of water at a temperature of 50 degrees, add 9% acetic acid and put your feet in a container. The procedure lasts 15 minutes, after which the feet are dried and put on cotton socks.
First, the feet are steamed in a soda bath, after which the damaged areas of the nail plate are removed. After that, a cotton swab with hydrogen peroxide is applied to the nail and covered with polyethylene. This compress should stay for an hour. The procedure is performed twice a day.
Nail platinum is smeared with tincture of iodine 2 times a day. You can also make baths by adding 3 liters of water and 2 teaspoons of iodine.
Propolis has an antifungal effect on the skin of the legs and nails both when using tinctures and as part of ointments and baths. Add a spoonful of propolis to a basin of water. After the procedure, you can apply the remedy for half an hour to the focus of the disease.
Potassium permanganate and vinegar
Baths with potassium permanganate and vinegar also do an excellent job with the fungus. To prepare the product, add a liter of table vinegar and a little potassium permanganate to 3 liters of water. The course of treatment is 7 days.
Apply some oil on your wrist to test for allergies. If no strange signs appear after 12 hours, you can use a remedy to combat the fungus. The most effective option is tea tree oil. 5 drops of oil are needed per liter of liquid. And the extract itself is applied to the nail plate after the cleansing procedure.
- Sage and mint. It can be taken orally as a tea or used in baths. The infusion is drunk throughout the day and the bath is taken before bedtime.
- Calamus root. For 250 ml of water, take 15 g of chopped root. The decoction helps fight a variety of infections. Drink it for a month.
- Japanese sophora. It has established itself as a tool that effectively enhances immunity, helps to normalize the functioning of internal organs. To prepare the tincture, take 0. 5 vodka and add 50 g of sophora fruit. Take a teaspoon before meals. Course - 2 months.
- Oak bark. It has a detrimental effect on mold and helps get rid of the fungus. Baths are prepared as follows: combine 1 liter of liquid with 5 tbsp. spoons of bark and boil for 20 minutes. Use for baths when the temperature of the broth reaches 40 degrees. The duration of the procedure is 20 minutes.
Sold in the form of an ointment. You can buy 10% or 30% remedy to get the effect. It is necessary to use it after water procedures before going to bed. The affected nail is covered with ointment.
A small piece is applied to the affected nail and fixed with a bandage. In the morning, the bandage is removed, the nails are washed with warm water, the damaged areas are cut off and the fingers are treated with hydrogen peroxide.
Wraps and tinctures
- Garlic. To cure toenail fungus, you can use the gruel of the plant. You have to cook it every night and apply for 40 minutes.
- Rowan leaves. Grind and apply all night.
- Thyme. The tincture is prepared from the dry plant. It will take 100 g of thyme and 2 liters of water. You need to steam your legs every day until recovery occurs.
- Lilac. The tincture will also help get rid of the fungus. For 100 ml of alcohol, 10 g of lilac is required. The affected areas are lubricated until the problem disappears completely.
Pharmaceutical preparations and creams
When symptoms of the fungus appear, topical treatment should be started as soon as possible. For this, creams, varnishes, pharmacy drops will go.
The tablets will also help to achieve maximum effectiveness in the fight against the disease. They are combined with external preparations. In the pharmacy you can buy products of various prices and effectiveness.
Removal of affected nails
Means for removing the affected, but already in a critical condition nails are also used.
- Chemist. Carried out in a dermatological office. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes. The doctor removes the stratum corneum with a special nail file and a scalpel. Then the doctor treats the entire surface of the foot and nails with an antiseptic, after which he applies an ointment paste. A sterile material is applied on top, the affected fingers are bandaged. After 4 days, these areas are sanitized with an antiseptic and treated with an antifungal agent.
- Mechanic. A mycologist or dermatologist removes the affected nails with a special apparatus. Before and after the procedure, the feet are treated with an antiseptic solution.
- Surgical. It is considered obsolete in medical practice. The manipulation is performed by the surgeon. The patient is given local anesthesia with lidocaine solution. After removal, the wound is treated with hydrogen peroxide, an antiseptic ointment is applied, a sterile bandage is applied, followed by fixation with a bandage. In the evening the fingers should be kept in a saline solution. Bandaging is done in a clinic.
What is the best way to treat advanced foot fungus?
One of the modern methods of getting rid of the fungus on the feet and nails is treatment with laser therapy. This technique is used in cases where traditional topical treatment and treatment with oral preparations have failed. The advantages of this procedure are really impressive:
- no side effects;
But laser fungus removal also has contraindications:
- The presence of acute inflammatory processes.
- Violation in the functioning of internal organs.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- The presence of skin diseases.
- Oncological diseases.
- Chemical peels.
Preparation for laser exposure is performed as follows: steam the damaged nail and cut as much as possible. Get tested early. The duration of treatment is approximately 6 procedures.
Features of the treatment of the fungus during pregnancy
Treatment of the fungus during pregnancy has its own characteristics. It should be borne in mind that pregnancy imposes a number of restrictions on the expectant mother, therefore, only topical preparations are used when eliminating the problem.
The use of therapeutic varnishes is recommended. First of all, the expectant mother should consult a doctor to clarify the diagnosis and get recommendations for the upcoming treatment.
If a pregnant woman has already suffered from a fungus, she should take prophylaxis to avoid an exacerbation of the disease during this crucial period.
Opinions and reviews of doctors about home treatment
Toenail fungus is a medical issue and should be addressed in conjunction with a trained professional. It is important to consult a doctor in a timely manner to clarify the diagnosis, which also focuses on precautions when visiting public baths and saunas, swimming pools, showers in hotels. It is these places that often become a source of infection.
Self-diagnosis followed by self-treatment, according to experts, can aggravate the situation, especially considering that some mushrooms are resistant to certain drugs. Only the right therapy will ensure a quick recovery and a lasting result.
Doctors focus the attention of patients expecting a child on a mandatory visit to a specialist before the pregnant woman starts using folk remedies and buying drugs at the pharmacy.
Prevention of the appearance of the fungus
To avoid the appearance of nail fungus is possible only with systematic prevention. The following measures will help to achieve good results:
- Wash your feet with soap every day.
- Apply antiseptics in the form of a spray or talcum powder.
- Thoroughly dry wet shoes.
- If you visit public toilets, swimming pools, take personal hygiene items with you, change of shoes.
- Periodically treat the manicure set with an antiseptic.
Following these simple guidelines will help protect your feet and nails from fungus.
Your health depends entirely on your personal relationship with your body. If you've had a fungus before or are experiencing unusual symptoms, see a doctor to confirm or disprove the diagnosis.
Pay close attention to the appearance of itchy feet, peeling, changes in the structure and color of the nails, the appearance of spots or streaks. This will not only identify the disease but deal with it effectively. But the advanced stages of the fungus bring not only additional discomfort, but also have a negative impact on the health of the whole organism. In addition, there is an aesthetic side: the affected nails eventually fade, peel off, and an unpleasant smell comes from the legs.